Monday, September 28, 2015

HONGKONG AIRLINES BUSINESS CLASS HONG KONG TO BANGKOK & back SEPTEMBER 18 -21 香港航空商務客艙香港到曼谷再回香港 HKG - BKK - HKG

September 18, 2015
23:15pm
HX-773
Hong Kong to Bangkok HKG - BKK
Business Class
Aircraft Airbus A330-300V



Short vid of cabin and seat

Planned to take my mom to Bangkok from Hong Kong for a relaxing few days, shopping, eating, and lounging by the pool at the hotel. However, after the incident, she decided that she'd become a burden to me if anything happens. She didn't force me not to go. 

Hong Kong Airlines was only charging half of the fee for tickets refund due to the incident. They also were allowing itinerary change free of charge one time.

The hotel stay was prepaid, so I checked into one of the suites at VIE Hotel in Bangkok by myself. It was a little too big for one person. I may review Hong Kong Airlines' Lounge and VIE Hotel at a later date.

I bought the business class tickets at a decent discount - $2820 HKD ($360+ USD) minus $250 USD annual auto airfare credit from the Citi Prestige credit card. It was a bargain! I enrolled in Hainan Airlines' Fortune Wings frequent mile program before I bought the tickets. For this J class flight, mileage accrual was 600%. I received 6752 miles for this leg, which was supposed to be only around 1060 miles. I don't remember any promotion being mentioned but I am not going to question it this time. with 14,000 miles I believe I get RT within 850 miles each way.

Check in at airport was a breeze at aisle K at Hong Kong Chep Lap Kok International Airport. K was the last check in aisle. Although business class check in was not exactly marked. Everybody was dropping their bags and lining up at the internet checked in bag drop line, I just went ahead and checked in at the economy check in counters where there was no-one.

Flight was delayed for 45 minutes. I checked out the lounge but would suggest that one forgets about it for this late 23:15pm flight. All of the buffet food items were put away. You will still be served made to order authentic Hong Kong noodles though.

Business class cabin overview

Reading light
HK Airlines A330-300V Staggered Business Class Cabin; Reading light on right

Cabin was 60% full. I stayed in my seat. Service felt a bit rushed. Juice and water were offered. A separate flight attendant distributed menu and took midnight snack order after 10 minutes. Menu was taken away right after. I snapped pictures of them in time though.

Slippers

Very comfy pillow and blanket
Slippers provided in a little bag; Very fluffy pillow and comforter style blanket

Blanket, pillow, and slippers were very nice and comfortable to the touch. I would say the blanket is even thicker and better than the Cathay Pacific one.


AC power outlet separated from USB outlet and seat control


Coat hook

Comes in handy

A nice little coat hook next to folded up tray table


Business class headphones

Tray table
Noise cancelling headphones and tray table



Seat 4K

Seat 4K
Seat 4K close to window

Seat felt cramped and a bit claustrophobic. There's absolutely no space for storage, except maybe a small man-purse or a magazine or two. I would not prefer this seat for any flights more than 5 hours. Pitch should be almost exactly 72" since when I laid flat on the completely flattened seat, there's about 3" left. I am 5'-9". Seat width felt like 21"-22". I shall bring a measuring tape next time eh?

Menu cover

Beverage menu

Chinese menu

English menu (late night snack)
Business Class Menu


Gooey fried beef noodle

Garlic bread

Business Class meal . . . Nothing to write home about on this flight

I ordered the udon noodles with beef, Swiss sauce (it's a Hong Kong style sauce, soy sauce based with sugar). It was one of the worst meal I've ever had on a plane. I was too tired to ask to try the other option. The food was very anti-climatic. This was my first paid business class seat *sigh*.

IFE and AVOD were decent, not as many movies as CX but it was quite enough for a 2.5 hour flight.


September 22, 2015
HX-772
11:25am
Bangkok to Hong Kong 
BKK - HKG
Business Class
Aircraft Airbus A330-200

Check in at airport was very quick and efficient. No line at business class check in counter. Received an invitation to CIP Louis' Tavern Lounge in area G and a priority security line pass. Got through within minutes. 

Waiting to board at BKK

However, there's been a aircraft change. It was supposed to be an A330-300 but it's been switched to an A330-200 with angled lie flat, 2-2-2 configuration instead of 1-2-1. No matter, I got to try both. 

BKK waiting area

No delay this time. Waiting area is pretty elongated. 

Business class cabin overview
2-2-2 config but seats are wide

Recliner seats, not lie flat
I had 1A but switched to 4K since the business class cabin was 10% full

Seat 1A
Massive legroom at 1A

Power and USB jacks
USB and AC power outlets, 3 prong headset jack

IFE controller
Noise canceling headsets + retractable remote

Seat control


IFE screen
Folded up IFE AVOD. Not extremely adjustable but was decent

Tray table on right side of K; left on H

Small pocket
Again, minimal storage at seat. I like to keep my bag within reach

Reading lights
Reading lights, two brightness levels 

Shared arm rest/drink tray

Considering the cabin being almost empty, I had two seats to myself. Didn't have to walk past another person to get to aisle. If this was an overnight long haul flight, it would be an issue. 

Flight attendants were a lot more attentive on this late morning flight. They almost immediately communicated to all that I speak Cantonese and they started addressing me as Mr Tsao in Cantonese. 

Menus were distributed, orders taken and then menus were collected. I did not feel rushed. I asked if I could take any empty seat after doors were shut, they all smiled and said "absolutely". Two of them helped move everything over and did not mess up the order.

Menu cover


Chinese menu


English menu
English side

Beverage menu


Co-branded catering


Appetizer - Chicken salad


Close up of salad


The chicken salad was well prepared but did not taste very thai at all. No complaint. I asked for Puh Er tea and it came within seconds and tasted freshly steeped and strong. Impressive. 

Dessert
Mango pudding. Very yummy. Just the right amount of evaporated milk added. Tasted like it's made of fresh puréed mango, not from powder. Took me straight back to the streets of Hong Kong!

Garlic bread
Garlic bread. Almost identical to CX's. I know some rave about CX garlic bread. It's just not my cup of tea. 

Entree
Curried cod. Edible. It's just economy meal "plated" on a porcelain dish and 1.5X portion

Conclusion:
I was very happy with these two legs of Hong Kong Airlines business class flights. Considering that I paid less than $150 USD for them and received almost 14,000 miles from them. Seats were very comfortable and adequate for the less than 3 hour flights. 

No more comments on the food. Food was not extremely important to me on these two flights since I'd been stuffing my face since before I got on the first leg of this entire trip: SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-SFO. I was starting to think airport lounges are evil, force feeding me and making me drink bottomless Coke Zero .....


1 comment:

  1. Hong Kong Airlines holds a number of subsidiary companies to manage its business. Your blog looking very nice. Looking for more blog from you. find Business class tickets New York and enjoy your next trip

    ReplyDelete